Luka Dončić is having a tremendous start to the season for Los Angeles. David Jensen / Getty Images
After the Lakers' 121-92 loss to the Thunder on Wednesday night, Luka Dončić had his first opportunity to speak on the firing of Mavericks general manager Nico Harrison. Mavericks governor Patrick Dumont fired Harrison on Tuesday following the team's 3-8 start.
"The city of Dallas, the fans, the players, they'll always have a special place in my heart," Dončić said. "I thought I was going to stay there forever, but I didn't. So that will always be a special place for me. I will always call it home. But right now, I'm focused on the Lakers and trying to move on. But obviously, always there will be a part of me there."
Harrison orchestrated the controversial blockbuster trade last February that sent Dončić to the Lakers, one that has left Mavs fans outraged for months. At the time of the deal, Harrison argued that the deal gave Dallas a better opportunity to win now under a three-to-four-year window. But Kyrie Irving tore his ACL soon after the trade, and trade acquisition Anthony Davis has struggled to stay on the floor. Chants of "Fire Nico" rang out at Mavericks games for months, and Dumont decided earlier this week that enough was enough.
Dončić, meanwhile, who was stunned by the trade and emotional in its aftermath, is thriving with the Lakers. The 26-year-old is averaging 34.9 points, 9.1 rebounds, and 8.9 assists per game. Now that Harrison has departed, Dončić was asked if he could envision a return to Dallas.
"Right now, I'm just focused on the Lakers," Dončić said. "No further comments."
Mavs fans can only dream of the return of their beloved superstar. Dončić signed a contract extension with the Lakers in August for three years and $165 million. The Lakers are 8-4 this season, currently good for fifth place in the Western Conference. Meanwhile, the Mavs are 3-9 and sit 14th in the West.