The "involvement of the state" will be looked at in the case of a murderer who killed his ex-partner after stalking her, a court heard.
Obert Moyo, now 47, was jailed for life with a minimum term of 27 years back in April last year for the murder of his ex-partner Perseverance Ncube.
A pre-inquest review hearing at Bolton Coroners Court this week heard how Moyo had been subject to a deportation order and already on licence when he murdered the 35-year-old.
Area coroner Peter Sigee said: "My preliminary view is that it is not open to the court to make any other finding that that Ms Ncube was unlawfully killed by Mr Moyo."
Mr Sigee said that instead the ensuing inquest would likely focus on the "involvement of the state, if I may put it in these broad terms".
The hearing took place at Bolton Coroners Court (Image: Anthony Moss)
The coroner began proceedings by offering his condolences to the family of Ms Ncube, known to her loved ones as Percy, through their barrister Emma Fenelon.
Moyo, formerly of Pennington Road, Great Lever, did not appear before the coroners court this week because of practicalities involving video links with the prison.
But Mr Sigee said provisions would be made to allow him to attend further hearings via video link.
Moyo is currently serving a life sentence after murdering Ms Ncube after chasing her from her home on Dukesgate Grove, Little Hulton and stabbing her on November 10, 2023.
Perseverance Ncube was murdered by Obert Moyo (Image: GMP)
He pleaded guilty to murder on what would have been the first day of his trial in April the following year.
Mr Sigee said the scope of the inquest would look at the knowledge, assessment and management of the risk Moyo may have posed to those he may have started relationships with.
The court heard how Moyo had 22 previous convictions, four of them relating to domestic abuse, and had last been released from prison on licence in 2019.
ALSO READ: Bolton man confesses to murdering 'loving and devoted' woman in her own home
ALSO READ: Inquest opens into death of Perseverance Ncube
ALSO READ: Man accused of murdering 'loving and devoted' woman appears before court
Moyo was subject to licence conditions when he murdered Ms Ncube, had also been on immigration bail since that year and was subject to a deportation order.
Mr Sigee said the inquest would need to examine specifics about what was known about the risks Moyo posed and about any steps that had been taken to his deportation.
He ruled that a further pre-inquest review hearing will be held after May 18 next year after a which he said he would look at window for the full inquest to be held.
Mr Sigee said that he would also decide whether a jury would be necessary at a later date.